Sending a large video file through email can be a challenge as most email providers have attachment size limits.
Thumb.ly is a tool that generates a personalised video thumbnail to preview the video you wish to send to an email recipient via your normal email software.
The recipient can then click on the video thumbnail and watch the video or download it to their local device.
You will first need to upload the video to the Thumb.ly video hosting system and then generate the thumbnail with the link to your video.
Alternative ways to send a video file via email
There are however a few other ways to send a large video through email:
- Use a file transfer service: You can use a file transfer service such as WeTransfer, SendSpace, or Hightail to send large video files. These services allow you to upload the file to their server and then provide a link to the recipient to download the file.
- Use cloud storage: You can upload the video file to a cloud storage service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive, and share the link to the file via email. The recipient can then download the file from the cloud storage service.
- Use a file compression tool: You can use a file compression tool or software to compress the video file to reduce its size. This will allow you to attach the file to an email, but the recipient will need to decompress the file before viewing it.
- Split the video file: You can split the video file into smaller parts using a video editing software, and then send each part as a separate email attachment. However, this method may not be ideal if the recipient needs to view the entire video in sequence.
- Use an email client with larger attachment limits: Some email clients allow larger file attachments than others. For example, Gmail allows you to send attachments up to 25 MB, while Yahoo! Mail allows attachments up to 100 MB.
- In any case, be sure to check with the recipient before sending a large video file through email to ensure they have the necessary resources to receive and view the file.
Using WeTransfer To Send Video Files
Here’s how to sign up and use WeTransfer:
- Go to the WeTransfer website (www.wetransfer.com) and click on the “Sign up” button in the top right corner of the page.
- Enter your email address and create a password, then click “Sign up” to create your account.
- Once you’re logged in, click on the “Transfer” button on the homepage.
- Click on the “+ Add your files” button to select the video file you want to send.
- Enter the recipient’s email address in the “Email to” field. You can also add a message to accompany the file.
- Click on the “Transfer” button to start uploading the file to WeTransfer’s servers.
- Once the file has finished uploading, WeTransfer will send an email to the recipient with a link to download the file.
- You can also use the “Copy link” option to copy the download link and share it via email, text message, or any other messaging app.
Note: WeTransfer offers a free plan that allows you to send files up to 2GB. If you need to send larger files, you can upgrade to WeTransfer Pro or WeTransfer Pro Plus for more features and larger file size limits.
Also, keep in mind that files uploaded to WeTransfer are only stored on their servers for a limited time, usually 7 days. If the recipient does not download the file within that time, the file will be deleted from WeTransfer’s servers.
What’s The Difference Between WeTransfer Pro And WeTransfer Pro Plus
WeTransfer Pro and WeTransfer Pro Plus are both premium versions of the WeTransfer file-sharing service, designed for individuals and businesses who need to send large files regularly.
Here are some of the differences between WeTransfer Pro and WeTransfer Pro Plus:
- File size limit: WeTransfer Pro allows you to send files up to 20 GB in size, while WeTransfer Pro Plus allows you to send files up to 100 GB in size.
- Storage capacity: WeTransfer Pro offers 1 TB of storage, while WeTransfer Pro Plus offers 2 TB of storage.
- Transfer speed: WeTransfer Pro offers faster transfer speeds compared to the free version of WeTransfer, while WeTransfer Pro Plus offers even faster transfer speeds.
- Custom branding: WeTransfer Pro Plus allows you to customize the look and feel of your file transfer pages with your own branding, while WeTransfer Pro does not.
- Team collaboration: WeTransfer Pro Plus offers team collaboration features, such as the ability to create and manage multiple user accounts, as well as access to shared storage and a team dashboard. WeTransfer Pro does not offer team collaboration features.
- Price: WeTransfer Pro costs $12 per month or $120 per year, while WeTransfer Pro Plus costs $25 per month or $250 per year.
In summary, WeTransfer Pro Plus offers more features and capabilities compared to WeTransfer Pro, including larger file size limits, more storage, faster transfer speeds, and team collaboration features. However, it also comes with a higher price tag.